Environmental Science Scholarships
Showing 1–25 of 27 results
SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program
The SMART scholarship program for service awards 300 scholarships to students pursuing a degree in a STEM discipline.
AMS Graduate Fellowships
Postgraduates are awarded scholarships ranging from $2,700 to $25,000 by the American Meteorological Society (AMS).
The Boren Scholarship supports U.S. citizens who study abroad during their undergraduate degrees. The winner of the scholarship is awarded up to $25,000 in financial support.
EESI Future Climate Leaders Scholarship Program
Students at HBCUs can apply for up to $5,000 in awards each academic year to pursue programs related to environmental science, clean energy, and climate policy at EESI-accredited institutions.
Henry David Thoreau Scholarship
The Henry David Thoreau Scholarship targets high school seniors who demonstrate a passion for environmental leadership and plan to take up interdisciplinary environmental studies in college.
Clearwater-Robert M. Wilkinson Scholarship
The scholarship awards one $1,000 scholarship and free attendance to the NC One Water Annual Conference to a student pursuing a degree in construction management, engineering, environmental science, or business management.
Raftelis Financial Consultants Environmental Finance and Management Fund Scholarship
Undergraduates from authorized institutions or universities in North Carolina are eligible for the Raftelis Financial Consultants Environmental Finance and Management Fund Scholarship of $1,000.
The NC Safewater Fund Scholarship/Carol Bond Scholarship
The $3,000 scholarship is awarded to one undergraduate student in water-related and public health degree programs. The award also includes free attendance to the NC One Water Annual Conference.
J. R. Popalisky Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students pursuing courses related to civil or environmental engineering or environmental science with an emphasis on career fields associated with water supply.
NYSAWWA Board of Governors Academic Achievement Scholarship
The Board of Governors Academic Achievement Scholarship recognizes achievements made by students and academics in the water industry and encourages academic excellence through a $2,000 prize.
NYSAWWA Board of Governors Past Chairs’ Legacy Scholarship
The NYSAWWA Board of Governors Past Chairs' Legacy Scholarship awards $2,000 to an undergraduate student enrolled in a full-time four-year degree with subjects related to water science and engineering.
NYSAWWA C. Michael Elliott Graduate Scholarship
It’s awarded to a graduate student in a full-time water supply study program leading to a master’s or higher degree at an accredited university in the U.S.
NYSAWWA High School Senior Scholarship
The scholarship offers a $1,000 award to high school seniors and/or college freshmen enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a water industry or an environmental degree.
The Taiwanese American Scholarship Fund offers $5,000 to 10 high school seniors and first-year college students who plan to attend a university or institution in the United States.
AWWA NJ Drinking Water Continuing Education Scholarship
AWWA New Jersey Section offers the Drinking Water Continuing Education Scholarship to a high school senior from New Jersey to pursue an undergraduate degree in water science, and engineering.
Brown and Caldwell Minority Scholarship
Brown and Caldwell offer the Minority Scholarship to undergraduate students from minorities enrolled in engineering or environmental sciences-related programs at accredited colleges or universities in the U.S.
CREW Network Scholarship
A real estate network focused on women is choosing 30 undergraduate or postgraduate students to win a scholarship for professional and academic development.
Ohio EPA Scholarship
The Ohio Community of Science offers the Ohio EPA Scholarship, ranging between $2,500 to $5,000, to undergraduate students pursuing degrees in environmental engineering and environmental science in Ohio.
Gloria Barron Wilderness Society Scholarship
The Gloria Barron Wilderness Society Scholarship offers $12,500 to $25,000 to two graduate students to support their preparation and research papers on an aspect of wilderness.
Ohio Minority Engineeing Student Scholarships
CT Consultants and Shumaker Advisors offer the Ohio Minority Engineering Student Scholarships (OMESS) of $2,500 to two Black students majoring in engineering at accredited Ohio colleges or universities.
MN AWWA Advanced Degree Scholarship
The Advanced Degree Scholarship is awarded to three undergraduate and/or graduate students from Minnesota enrolled in bachelor’s or graduate degree programs related to the water industry, including science, engineering, etc.
KsAWWA Terry L. McKanna Scholarship
The Kansas Section of the American Water Works Association offers the Terry L. McKanna Scholarship to Kansas high school graduate students pursuing undergraduate degrees in engineering-related programs in Kansas.
EAGLES STEM scholarships
Portland State University annually offers its EAGLES STEM Scholarships that cover full tuition to financially support deserving sophomore and junior students enrolled in STEM-related undergraduate programs at the university.
Mary Lou Marks Smith Scholarship
The Garden Club Federation of Maine offers the Mary Lou Marks Smith Scholarship to undergraduate community college students to further their education in wildlife, horticulture, floral design, or related fields.
The GCFM Horticulture Scholarship
The Garden Club Federation of Maine offers the GCFM Horticulture Scholarship to one undergraduate student enrolled in floriculture, horticulture, conservation, or other garden fields of study across the U.S.
About environmental science scholarships
Environmental sustainability and conservation are becoming increasingly important issues, and as a result, environmental science is gaining popularity as a field of study. With the need for professionals who can tackle environmental challenges on the rise, pursuing a degree in environmental science is a wise choice. Scholarships are an excellent way to support students in this field. Find out more about the different types of environmental science scholarships, potential career paths, opportunities for high school seniors, and tips for applying.
Types of environmental science scholarships 2023
Environmental science scholarships come in a variety of forms, catering to a wide range of students with diverse interests and backgrounds. Some common types include:
- Merit scholarships: These are awarded to students who excel academically, demonstrate leadership qualities, and achieve other notable accomplishments. These scholarships are often offered by organizations, universities, and institutions to attract and retain talented students in the field of environmental science.
- Need-based scholarships: These scholarships aim to make education more accessible for students facing financial constraints. These scholarships consider the applicant's financial circumstances and may cover tuition, textbooks, and living expenses.
- Some scholarships are specifically designed for students who wish to specialize in certain areas of environmental science, such as renewable energy, biodiversity conservation, climate change research, or environmental policy.
- Diversity and inclusion scholarships: These are intended to increase the representation of underrepresented groups in the field of environmental science. They provide support to individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, contributing to a more inclusive field.
Careers to pursue with an environmental science major
An environmental science major opens the door to a wide array of career opportunities. Graduates in this field can work in both the public and private sectors, addressing critical environmental issues. Some potential career paths include:
- Environmental scientist: Conduct research to identify environmental problems, analyze data, and develop solutions to address pollution, climate change, and resource management.
- Conservation biologist: Work to protect and preserve ecosystems and biodiversity through research, policy development, and conservation efforts.
- Environmental policy analyst: Shape environmental regulations and policies by evaluating their potential impacts and proposing effective solutions.
- Sustainability consultant: Advise organizations on how to adopt environmentally friendly practices, reduce waste, and operate more sustainably.
- Renewable energy specialist: Focus on developing and implementing renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric power, to mitigate the effects of fossil fuel consumption.
Environmental science scholarships for high school seniors 2023
Scholarships in environmental science provide a unique opportunity for high school seniors who are passionate about tackling environmental challenges. These scholarships recognize the potential and dedication of young individuals who are committed to pursuing careers in fields related to conservation, sustainability, ecology, and environmental science. Aspiring high school seniors can explore a variety of scholarships that not only offer financial support for their future education but also acknowledge their early engagement in environmental advocacy, research, and community involvement. These scholarships inspire young leaders to take their passion for the environment to the next level and establish the groundwork for a rewarding academic and professional journey in the realm of environmental science.
If you're interested in other scholarships, head to our Scholarships for High School Seniors page or check out other Science Scholarships
Tips for applying for environmental science scholarships
1. Research thoroughly: Understand the eligibility criteria, application requirements, deadlines, and any specific essay prompts for each scholarship.
2. Highlight your passion: Clearly express your dedication to environmental science and demonstrate how your values align with the scholarship's mission.
3. Showcase your achievements: Highlight academic achievements, extracurricular activities, leadership roles, and any relevant projects or research you've undertaken.
4. Request recommendations early: Approach teachers, mentors, or supervisors for recommendation letters well ahead of the application deadlines.
Frequently asked questions
Is environmental science a hard major to get into?
Environmental science is not a particularly difficult science discipline to get into. It’s actually considered one of the easier science degrees to get into.
Is environmental science a valuable degree?
Yes, not only is it a somewhat newly-popular field but you can also earn a pretty good salary. As the focus shifts to being greener and environmentally friendly in all aspects of life, these kinds of jobs will become more popular.
What are the scholarships for students interested in the environment?
Most scholarships for students interested in the environment are community service-based. Some scholarships are just science scholarships. A few popular scholarships include the
SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program, EPOC Environmental Scholarship Fund, and the Gloria Barron Wilderness Society Scholarship.