American Express Student Credit Cards
If you are looking for a student credit card with great features we have reviewed the top student credit cards as alternatives to American Express. Learn more here.
Table of Contents
- What is American Express?
- 7 Alternatives to American Express Student Credit Card
- Pros & Cons of a Student Credit Card
- Final Thoughts
Getting a credit card is an important step to financial success and it can help young adults to build a solid credit foundation along with taking advantage of the benefits. Unfortunately, American Express does not have any student credit cards but we have reviewed the top 7 student credit cards that you can opt for this year, and that are great for their benefits & features.
What is American Express?
American Express is a global financial services company that started in 1870 and since then has been providing customers with credit cards and other financial products. They are quite popular and known for their exceptional rewards programs, world-class customer service, and high level of security.
Does American Express Have a Student Credit Card?
American Express, or Amex, does not especially provide student credit cards. This is because they do not offer credit cards for people with limited credit history, and students usually have a poor credit history. It takes years to build a good credit and college students are at the time of their lives where they have just started building it.
There are, however, other card options from American Express like their personal, business, or travel credit card. Students can apply for these American Express cards if they qualify and meet all the eligibility requirements. Most Amex cards require a good minimum credit.
7 Top Student Credit Cards - Alternatives to American Express Student Credit Card
|Lender||Scholaroo||Our view||APR Rates %||Minimum Credit Score||Learn more|
Discover it® Student Chrome
|Great Card for Beginners||14.49-24.49||Not Required||Visit website|
|Great for Cash Rewards||19.74-29.74||640||Visit website|
Discover it® Student Cash Back
|Unlimited Rewards on Everyday Purchases||17.74-26.74||Not Required||Visit website|
Bank of America® Travel Rewards
|Great for Travel Rewards||17.74-27.74||670||Visit website|
Chase Freedom Student
|$20 Cash Back for Good Grades||19.49||660||Visit website|
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
|Easy to Use & Get||19.74-29.74||640||Visit website|
Petal® 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa®
|Good Beginner's Card||12.99-26.00||Not Required||Visit website|
#1 Discover it® Student Chrome
If you are starting off with credit cards The Discover it® Student Chrome credit card maybe be great for you. It is designed to help students build their credit score, as well as earn rewards for their purchases. This card offers a range of features and benefits that make it attractive for college students and recent graduates.
- You can Earn 2% cash back on up to $1,000 in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each quarter, plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- The Discover it® Student Chrome credit card does not have an annual fee or any foreign transaction fees.
- You can get a $20 statement credit when you make your first purchase with the card.
- You can enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months from account opening, then an 13.49%.rate.
- You will have access to your free FICO credit score at any time and see what lenders may see when reviewing your credit applications.
- The credit card’s $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee and 24/7 U.S.-based customer service is really helpful.
The Discover it® Student Chrome credit card also offers convenient account management features, including mobile payments and online banking services, making it a good choice for students.
#2 Capital One SavorOne Rewards
The Capital One SavorOne Rewards Credit Card is another great card for students that are beginning to build credit and they can get rewards in return. With this card you get following features:
- You can earn 3% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases.
- There is no annual fee.
- The card offers 0% introductory APR for the first six months.
- You can get a $150 bonus after you make $500 in purchases within three months of opening your account.
- They provide 24/7 fraud protection and customer service
- Option to upgrade your card with a higher limit after making five timely payments.
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the United States.
- Mobile app makes it easy to check your account activity and make payments on the go
- Free access to Capital One’s CreditWise® program, which helps you better understand your credit score and how to improve it.
- No penalty APR applied if you make a late payment and No over-limit fees for transactions that exceed your credit limit.
The Capital One SavorOne Student Rewards Credit Card has a lot of features that are great for students and young adults that are beginning their credit card journey.
#3 Discover it® Student Cash Back
If you are looking for a card that has a lot of rewards then Discover it® Student Cash Back may be the right choice for you. It is a great credit card for students looking to earn cash back on their purchases and build a positive credit history. The features include:
- 5% cash back in categories that change every quarter such as shopping, dining, and travel, plus 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
- There are no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, and a 0% introductory APR for the first 6 months.
- You can get a $20 Good Grade Reward for getting a GPA of 3.0 or higher each year
- You have the ability to Freeze It™ on/off switch to prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers in seconds
- You can sign up for Free Social Security Number alerts so that identity theft won’t go undetected
- 24/7 access to personal credit scores and free FICO® Credit Score updates.
Discover it® Student Cash Back is the perfect card for students who want to build their credit and take advantage of cash back rewards.
#4 Bank of America® Travel Rewards
Bank of America is another great alternative to American Express for student cards. If you travel or are looking for travel benefits then you will like the features on the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card. It is designed for Students who travel and can earn great rewards. The features are:
- With this card, you can earn 1.5x points on all purchases and 20,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening.
- This card also offers no annual fee and 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from the date of account opening.
- You can also redeem your points for travel, gift cards, statement credits, and cash back.
- It has a Chip technology with EMV chip card security technology
- It provides Travel accident insurance
- Easy Trip cancellation & interruption protection
- You can get Lost luggage reimbursement
- Access to online banking and mobile app for easy account management and 24/7 customer service assistance
- Easy access to cash with over 2,000 Bank of America ATMs and more than 43,000 no-fee Allpoint ATMs around the world.
With the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card, you can get rewards while you explore the world.
#5 Chase Freedom® Student
If you are looking for a simple and easy to use card then get the the Chase Freedom® Student Credit card. It is designed to help students build credit and establish financial independence. It offers a number of features, including:
- You can take advantage of the card without spending money on an annual fee.
- You can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in spending per quarter in categories that change every three months.
- All other purchases you make with your card will earn an unlimited 1% cash back.
- Zero fraud liability protection
- it provides purchase protection and This coverage protects eligible items purchased with your card against theft or damage for the first 120 days.
- You get extended warranty protection which doubles the original manufacturer’s or store brand warranty on eligible items you purchase with your card for up to one year.
- You can redeem your cash back for statement credits, direct deposits into a Chase checking or savings account, gift cards, and more.
- There are No foreign transaction fees and more
The Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card is simple but backed with rewards and benefits for students.
#6 Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
Capital One also offers the Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card which is designed to help students build credit and earn cash rewards all in one. It offers a number of features, including:
- You are not charged any annual fee
- You will earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all your purchases, no matter what you buy or where you shop.
- There is a $150 bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months from account opening
- A full 100% fraud liability protection
- The Capital One Mobile app makes all transactions super easy
- You won’t have to pay extra when you use your card outside of the US.
- You can Track your credit score and get personalized tips on how to improve it with CreditWise® from Capital One.
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards has many more additional benefits and is great for all students.
#7 Petal® 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card
Another great card for beginners is The Petal® 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card. This card helps users build credit and earn cash back without having to pay any fees. Some of its features include:
- You can use the card without worrying about an annual fee.
- You can earn 1% cash back on all your purchases, no matter what you buy or where you shop.
- With select merchant partners, you can get up to an extra 10% in cash back rewards.
- There are no foreign transaction fees
- Access to its app makes everything easier
While it can have lower credit limits the Petal® 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is a great choice for those who want to start building credit history without worrying about any fee.
Pros & Cons of a Student Credit Card
There are some pros and cons of having a student credit card and we have given them below so you can make an informed decision:
Pros of a Student Credit Card
- You can build your credit history: when you are starting out as a student, it is important to start building your credit history for future financial stability.
- You can earn rewards: Credit cards offer rewards and points that can be beneficial for daily purchases and cash back.
- Travel Perks: With some credit cards you get many travel benefits and rewards on airline tickets and hotel stay.
- They offer Convenience: Credit cards are easy to use and accepted in most places, so there’s no need to carry cash or checks with you.
- Emergency Funds: Credit cards can be really useful in an emergency, as they provide access to funds that may not be available otherwise.
Cons of a Student Credit Card
- High Interest Rates: If you dont pay off the full balance every month you will be charged penalties and high interest rates which makes you loose money over time.
- Potential for Overspending: There is a potential to overspend with a credit card since people think they can pay back later.
- Identity Theft: It is easy for people to steal your identity through online shopping if you are not careful.
- Negative Impact on Credit Score: If you miss payments or exceed your credit limit, it can have a negative impact on your credit score.
- Temptation to Live Beyond Your Means: With a credit card you have an amount of money that you can spend but not pay immediately which makes it tempting to live beyond your means. However, the bills and debt will add up making it extremely stressful in the long run.
Credit cards when used responsibly have many benefits and can provide future financial stability. It also makes it easier for you to start using other financial products in the future. However, it is important to use them wisely without overspending and paying off the bill in full each month.
Following are some Frequently Asked Questions relating to the topic.
What types of student credit cards does American Express provide?
American Express has many personal, business and travel related credit cards but they do not have a card that is specially designed for students. If you have a good credit score you can still get their personal credit card.
Do I have to be a student to get a student credit card?
You don’t have to be a student to get a student credit card but you have to meet all the eligibility requirements. Some issuers can ask for proof of enrollment in college or other educational institutions at the time of application.
Can I get a student credit card if I am an international student?
Yes, you can get a student credit card if you are an international student. However, most issuers require a U.S.-based address and valid Social Security number in order to qualify. They may also need proof of enrollment at an eligible educational institution in the U.S. Always read all the terms and conditions before submitting an application. Some international student credit cards may have higher interest rates and fees than other types of cards, so make sure you understand what you are signing up for before applying.
Getting a student credit card can be beneficial and will build your credit history. There are good alternatives available for student credit cards instead of American Express. American Express is great for personal, business, and travel cards especially if you have a good credit score of 700 and above. As a student, you can compare the different features of student credit cards that we have given before making your decision.